Hook Timeline

Hook History Timeline

3500BCNeolithic Man active around Newnham
1500BCBronze Artefacts produced at Mapledurwell
200        Romans in Hook area. Roman Villa at Lodge Farm; settlement near Bell Pond
871        King Alfred defeated by Danes at Basing
1223      Earliest mention of ‘Hook’ as a place
1329      Hugh Le Despenser purchased land in ‘La Hoke’, Newnham
1349      Black Death reaches Hook
1432      Possible Brew house on site of Old White Hart
1640      Cromwell’s soldiers reputed to have met at Old White Hart
1670      Ford replaced by Fulsham Bridge for coaching traffic
1675      John Ogilby publishes road map showing Hook
1737      Turnpike Trust made responsible for upkeep of road through Hook
1770      Hartley Wintney cricket club founded
1776      Jack the Painter captured at the Raven
1780      Rowlandson paints the Spread Eagle
1794      Basingstoke Canal and Greywell Tunnel completed
1805      Lt Lapenotière passes through Hook en route to London with news of Nelson’s death
1816      Congregational Chapel Built
1825      Gower’s Foundry Established opposite the Old White Hart
1825      Hump bridge built
1829      Thirty coaches a day pass or stop at the White Hart
1830      Rose and Crown (now the Hogget) built to meet the needs of the coaching route.
1838      Winchfield station opens
1840      London to Southampton railway opened but Hook had no station
1840      Tithe Map of parishes shows all fields and owners around Hook
1843      School built for children in Newnham and Hook
1851      Census population of Hook is 412
1851      Major fire at Gower’s Foundry
1860      Own hops grown behind brew house, producing local ale
1860      Rose and Crown renamed Dorchester Arms, popular with railway navvies
1871      Turnpike Gates removed because of competition from railway
1875      School enlarged for increasing roll
1876      John Varndell opened the first post office
1883      Hook railway station opened
1884      Two Elms near Crooked Billet felled in a hurricane
1886      ‘Tin Church’ Built
1887      The first Hook Telegraph office was opened in the Post Office
1895      Hartletts built
1900      Old Raven Inn sold; ceases to be an inn, becomes a private residence
1902      Railway station enlarged
1902      Invasion by ‘navvies’. Tin Hut built at White Hart Inn to accommodate them
1902      Raven Hotel built
1904      Corn Mill (Loader’s Mill) Built, later a cocoa mill
1914      Famous traffic accident at cross roads outside Dorchester Arms
1920Hook War Memorial erected
1926Road through Hook widened because of heavy traffic flows
1927      Frederick Barker donates land for a new Church
1931  Hook population 923
1932      Parish of Hook formed from parts of Odiham, Newnham and Nately Scures
1932Demolition of brew house, old forge and bakery at Old White Hart. New inn rebuilt
1935      Original Crooked Billet building demolished. New pub built
1937      King George V playing fields opened
1938      St John’s Church consecrated
1940 Unexploded bomb near Hook station kills six Sappers
1940’s  Raven Road Council houses started
1941      Corn Mill becomes a Cocoa Mill
1943      Hook gets its own consecrated burial ground at St John’s Church
1949      Severe fire at Cocoa Mill
1953      Queen Elizabeth II alighted at Winchfield Station on her way to RAF Odiham
1955      Hook recognised as a separate ecclesiastical parish
1960      Hook has 550 houses, population 1,680
1960’s  Bell Meadow estate and shopping parade built
1970      Hook has 800 houses, population 2,400
1971      M3 Motorway opened. New School built in centre of Hook
1975      Hartletts demolished, replaced by Geffery’s House
1981 Hook population 2,925
1980’s  Large housing developments in Hook
1983   Village Plough discovered and restored
1986Hook action Group fight off proposed development of 4,000 new houses
1991      Hook population 6,001
2007  Severe Floods in Hook
2008      Dorchester Arms renamed The Hogget