Hook Hampshire

Hook Timeline

Interactive Map of Hook 1870 - 1930

Select a Layer to View

Pre 1870 Buildings Pre 1895 Buildings Pre 1910 Buildings Pre 1930 Buildings
Pre 1910 Roads Pre 1940 Roads    
Village Ponds Listed Buildings Information  

Hook History Timeline

3500BC Neolithic Man active around Newnham
1500BC Bronze Artefacts produced at Mapledurwell
200         Romans in Hook area. Roman Villa at Lodge Farm; settlement near Bell Pond
871         King Alfred defeated by Danes at Basing
1223       Earliest mention of ‘Hook’ as a place
1329       Hugh Le Despenser purchased land in ‘La Hoke’, Newnham
1349       Black Death reaches Hook
1432       Possible Brew house on site of Old White Hart
1640       Cromwell’s soldiers reputed to have met at Old White Hart
1670       Ford replaced by Fulsham Bridge for coaching traffic
1675       John Ogilby publishes road map showing Hook
1737       Turnpike Trust made responsible for upkeep of road through Hook
1770       Hartley Wintney cricket club founded
1776       Jack the Painter captured at the Raven
1780       Rowlandson paints the Spread Eagle
1794       Basingstoke Canal and Greywell Tunnel completed
1805       Lt Lapenotière passes through Hook en route to London with news of Nelson’s death
1816       Congregational Chapel Built
1825       Gower’s Foundry Established opposite the Old White Hart
1825       Hump bridge built
1829       Thirty coaches a day pass or stop at the White Hart
1830       Rose and Crown (now the Hogget) built to meet the needs of the coaching route.
1838       Winchfield station opens
1840       London to Southampton railway opened but Hook had no station
1840       Tithe Map of parishes shows all fields and owners around Hook
1843       School built for children in Newnham and Hook
1851       Census population of Hook is 412
1851       Major fire at Gower’s Foundry
1860       Own hops grown behind brew house, producing local ale
1860       Rose and Crown renamed Dorchester Arms, popular with railway navvies
1871       Turnpike Gates removed because of competition from railway
1875       School enlarged for increasing roll
1876       John Varndell opened the first post office
1883       Hook railway station opened
1884       Two Elms near Crooked Billet felled in a hurricane
1886       ‘Tin Church’ Built
1887       The first Hook Telegraph office was opened in the Post Office
1895       Hartletts built
1900       Old Raven Inn sold; ceases to be an inn, becomes a private residence
1902       Railway station enlarged
1902       Invasion by ‘navvies’. Tin Hut built at White Hart Inn to accommodate them
1902       Raven Hotel built
1904       Corn Mill (Loader’s Mill) Built, later a cocoa mill
1914       Famous traffic accident at cross roads outside Dorchester Arms
1920 Hook War Memorial erected
1926 Road through Hook widened because of heavy traffic flows
1927       Frederick Barker donates land for a new Church
1931   Hook population 923
1932       Parish of Hook formed from parts of Odiham, Newnham and Nately Scures
1932 Demolition of brew house, old forge and bakery at Old White Hart. New inn rebuilt
1935       Original Crooked Billet building demolished. New pub built
1937       King George V playing fields opened
1938       St John’s Church consecrated
1940  Unexploded bomb near Hook station kills six Sappers
1940’s   Raven Road Council houses started
1941       Corn Mill becomes a Cocoa Mill
1943       Hook gets its own consecrated burial ground at St John’s Church
1949       Severe fire at Cocoa Mill
1953       Queen Elizabeth II alighted at Winchfield Station on her way to RAF Odiham
1955       Hook recognised as a separate ecclesiastical parish
1960       Hook has 550 houses, population 1,680
1960’s   Bell Meadow estate and shopping parade built
1970       Hook has 800 houses, population 2,400
1971       M3 Motorway opened. New School built in centre of Hook
1975       Hartletts demolished, replaced by Geffery’s House
1981  Hook population 2,925
1980’s   Large housing developments in Hook
1983    Village Plough discovered and restored
1986 Hook action Group fight off proposed development of 4,000 new houses
1991       Hook population 6,001
2007   Severe Floods in Hook
2008       Dorchester Arms renamed The Hogget

 

© hookinhampshire.co.uk 2017